Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another fear - conquered!

Roasting poblano peppers has always seemed way too dangerous to me (like the kitchen would catch fire or something tragic of the sort). I've finally conquered my fear, roasted those 3 peppers on the stove-top, and I feel great about it! I sadly wasted the peppers on a Chile Relleno Casserole that had no flavor, but who cares - I succeeded in fire-roasting peppers! WOO HOO! It didn't turn out to be hard/scary at all! Here's how I did it.
Fire Roasting Poblano Peppers
1. Turn your stove-top burner on HIGH heat.
2. Set your pepper on top.
3. Keep turning the pepper (with tongs) every 30-40 seconds until the whole thing is blackened and charred. (see picture below)
4. Place into a plastic bag to steam the peppers for 15 minutes (this allows the charred skin to peel off easily). 
 5. After 15 minutes take the peppers out of the plastic bag, place them on a cookie sheet (or plate, cutting-board, etc.) and peel off the charred skin either with your fingers or the back of a knife (I used both). They will look like this...
You can do so many things with roasted peppers it's unbelievable! You can make Chile Rellenos, a Chile Relleno Casserole, you can stuff them with numerous fillings (such as beans, beef, pork, rice, shrimp, etc.), make soup, Poblano Pepper & Cilantro rice, Enchiladas, Quesadillas... too many options to name!  Have fun experimenting!
**NOTES:
- When the peppers are over the fire they will more than likely make crackling noises. Don't be alarmed, that is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment