Sunday, November 27, 2011

From a FAIL to a WIN!

As you may know (or not, but anyways...) I'm on a mission to find a soup that I can say I truly love. I'm not a soup person, but since it's around the Holidays and weather is getting cooler, I want to warm up with some hot soup! I just made Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup and it's actually yummy! It has this subtle sweetness that I crave (probably from the smoked sausage) and it's nice and hearty! It tastes so healthy too! I'm still on the look-out for my faaavorite soup, but this recipe is surprisingly good enough to keep in my binder! The recipe calls for it to be cooked on HIGH for 4-5 hours, but since my husband wouldn't be home for 8 hours I decided to cook it on LOW for 8 hours. Well, FAIL. I opened the pot (after 7-and-a-half hours to check on it) to find hard peas! I guess they need the higher temperature to actually cook. I turned it on HIGH for another 90 minutes and it was then deliciously done! WIN! I think I'll actually end up making this again! :)
Ingredients:
1 pound dried split peas
10 cups water (not shown in the picture)
1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced (I used Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage)
5 cubes chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (2 carrots)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 onion, chopped

Directions: 
1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion.
2. Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.
Serve with buttered french bread and enjoy!
**NOTES:
- Like I said above, cook it on HIGH or the peas won't cook. Or I suppose if you have all day to kill then you can cook it on LOW for 7-and-a-half hours, then turn the setting to HIGH for an hour-and-a-half. Um... just stick to HIGH. :P
-It needed a little salt and pepper after I tasted it the first time, so just keep in mind to add some to your bowl (according to your taste preference).

No comments:

Post a Comment