Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Black Bean Chili

My husband came home from work a few days ago saying someone brought in some amazing black bean chili! He asked her for the recipe so I could make it again for him. She sent the recipe online and I had to talk to her... 1/4 cup of chili powder? That's got to be a joke (or at least a humorous mistake). To my surprise, it really is 1/4 cup chili powder in there! She said she didn't put quite as much as that though. So I made it how she said she made it and still... holy chili powder! I took one bite of that chili and had spit it out (dramatically, I might add). It was like an explosion in my mouth - of pure chili powder! 
 YUCK. My husband said it was good, but it was missing something. I suggested that if I made it again I'd put some corn in it or something. DING! He said "Oh yeah! That's what's missing! She put corn in it too!" So I heated up some corn in the microwave (since I had already served up the chili) and then we poured some into our bowls.
I didn't have the guts put anymore into my mouth... I just can't believe how much chili powder this recipe has. I won't be making this recipe again, but for anyone who loves chili powder I highly suggest this recipe! 
Quick Black Bean Chili
Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, diced
Water
2 cloves of garlic, minced
16 oz. cooked, rinsed black beans
8 oz. diced fire roasted tomatoes (I used the can with garlic in it too)
1/4 cup chili powder (but you should put way less)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano 
8 oz. corn
Optional for garnish: 2-3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro leaves and/or a squeeze of lime juice

Directions:
Over medium-high heat saute' onion until most is significantly brown. Add a thin layer of water and quickly stir the onion. Let onion sit and water evaporate. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic; saute' 1 minute. Add the black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; mix everything together well. Simmer for atleast 5 minutes. 
Optional: Add the cilantro and/or lime juice immediately after the chili comes off the heat and stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment