Sunday, November 13, 2011

Oh how I love sushi :)

I always make sushi because it's just so delicious (not to mention expensive to buy). Here's my recipe so you can try it too!
California Roll
Ingredients:
2-4 cups Medium Grain Cooked White Rice
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar (or more)
1 pack Nori (dried seaweed sheets) 
1/2 lb. Alaskan Crab Legs 
2 Ripe Avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Cucumbers, seeded and thinly sliced (matchstick-like)
Toasted sesame seeds
a bowl of water (to wet your fingers before grabbing the rice)
1 bamboo mat covered tightly in saran wrap (to roll your sushi)
Directions:
 1. Prepare your rice in the rice cooker or on the stove (according to the directions on the package). Spoon the rice into a large baking dish to cool. When cool to the touch, pour at least 1/2 a cup of rice vinegar all over the the rice; mix well. Taste the rice to see if it needs more. You'd be surprised how much it needs. I never measure it - I just go by taste. 
 2. Place 1 sheet of seaweed (rough-side up) on your saran-wrap-covered bamboo mat and cover with rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
3. Flip the seaweed sheet over so the rice is now touching the bamboo mat.  Place your cucumber, avocado slices and crab along the bottom (as pictured).
4. Roll the bottom of the seaweed (using the mat) over the filling while tucking under so it should look like this...
5. Continue rolling (pressing tightly) until the roll forms. It will look like this...
6. You now have your own sushi roll! Slice with a knife dipped in water (to prevent the rice from sticking to much) and you should have something that looks delicious - like this! 
p.s.- Don't cut the pieces as big as I cut this piece (unless you want to)! I just wanted to show you what the inside should look like. :)

**NOTES:
- The crab legs I use are the Alaskan Crab legs from the fish counter at Safeway. They are my fave!! Delicious!!!
- I put 2 cups of dry white rice into my rice cooker and 4 cups of water. I wasn't sure in the ingredients if I should put 2 cups, or 4 cups of rice (since it doubles I think?).  
- You can make sushi a thousand different ways, this is just how I make mine and I'm completely addicted! Feel free to add/change stuff and just use this as a guideline. I also made Kappamaki which are just cucumber rolls (because my husband likes them). Simple, yet refreshing!
- These are best when they are freshly made so don't make them a day in advance if you're trying to impress anyone! The rice will get hard and fall apart. No bueno....
- The green bowl of water above the bamboo mat has water in it. The rice will be sticky and wetting your fingers/hands before gabbing a handful of sticky rice will help prevent it sticking too much to your hands. After you put the rice on your seaweed, spread it out with your wet finger tips. If your finger tips aren't wet then the rice will just stick to your fingers (and not the seaweed).
- Serve with soy sauce and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment