Saturday, November 12, 2011

Amy's Baha Fish Tacos

I'm well aware that tonight was supposed to be Teriyaki Salmon night, but when I went to Safeway all I saw were thin weird-looking pieces. I decided to get some cod instead (since I've been craving fish tacos for months). I knew I was going to make these tacos sooner or later so I've been scouring the internet to find a yummy recipe for weeks now! I found a few that sounded delicious and then made up my own recipe based on all that I found. They are amazing! Definitely a keeper for cookbook!
Amy's Baha Fish Tacos
Ingredients:
1 large Cod fillet, cut into 2 inch pieces
3/4 cup beer
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Combine flour, salt and your favorite beer; stir until smooth. Batter will have the consistency of pancake batter. Add fish pieces to flour mixture. Coat thoroughly. Heat canola oil in a tall-sided heavy pot/pan over medium-high heat. Slowly add battered fish to oil and fry 3-6 minutes total. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt if desired.

**NOTES:
-I don't drink beer so I have no preference in brand. I found a can of "Coors" beer for .75 (reduced for quick sale) so I bought that one. The tacos turns out superb!
- I put to sprinkle with salt "if desired" because the batter itself has a good amount of salt-taste to it. Just taste the first piece of fish that is done frying and then determine if you'd like to add more salt.

And of course you can't have fish tacos without Pico De Gallo!
Amy's Pico De Gallo
Ingredients:
4 Roma tomatoes
half of a red onion
1 handful of fresh cilantro
1 lime
Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Roughly slice the tomato and place into a food processor. Pulse until it's still chunky. Pour into a small bowl.
2. Roughly slice your onion and place into the food processor. Pulse until it's diced small. Add the onion into the bowl with tomatoes and sprinkle in some
salt and pepper (about 4-5 shakes of each). Stir to combine. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the bowl and mix well.
3. Grab a bunch of fresh cilantro (a handful) and place into the food processor. Drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil in (1 teaspoon or so) and pulse until the cilantro is finely chopped. Pour into the tomato/onion bowl and stir everything to combine.

**NOTES:
- Taste the Pico De Gallo when you finish step 3 to see if it needs more salt and/or pepper.
- Many Pico De Gallo recipes call for jalapeno but since I don't like heat I didn't put any. You can certainly put some - just dice it small. The amount to add just depends on your heat tolerance. 

Don't forget the sauce!
Amy's Chipotle Sauce
Ingredients:
Sour cream
Taco Bell's Bold & Creamy Chipotle Sauce
The juice of half a lime

Directions:
1. Put sour cream into a bowl and squirt some of the chipotle sauce into it. Mix.
2. Squirt your lime juice in it and mix again.

**NOTES:
-The amounts just depends on taste. I don't really like too much flavor so I put a lot more sour cream than the chipotle sauce. 
 
Assemble your fish tacos:
Microwave your corn tortillas for a few seconds so they will be more flexible and less-likely to tear apart. Spoon on some chipotle sauce and add your fried fish on top. Add a little more chipotle sauce on top of the fish and garnish with Pico De Gallo, sliced avocado and thinly shredded cabbage. Serve with quartered lime pieces (to sprinkle the juice on top of each taco).
Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment