Monday, November 14, 2011

A FAIL, but an even bigger WIN!

Today was supposed to be my first Meatless Monday post, but there was steak in the refrigerator and I didn't want it to go bad (so I really had no choice). That's a total Meatless Monday FAIL. The good news though is that I have officially conquered my George Foreman Grill fear and I feel great about it! My first time using it a few months ago was horrible. I bought steak at Walmart and used it on the "Sell By..." date, but even though it should have still been good/edible it made my entire house smell like burnt sour fish! EEEEW. I literally was so traumatized that I haven't been able to touch the grill since! But tonight I have conquered my fear - and with steak from Walmart none-the-less! I feel fantastic! It turned out great! I can't wait to cook more stuff on the grill now! Since I still had left-over stuff from when I made my Baha Fish Tacos a couple nights ago I decided to make steak tacos for dinner tonight. Here's what I did...
Steak Tacos
Ingredients:
3 pieces of thin-cut steak
Corn Tortillas 

Steak Marinade: 
2 TBS Grill Mates Steak Rub 
A dash of Cumin
3/4 cup (or more) Olive Oil

Optional Toppings:
Shredded cabbage
Mexican 4 cheese blend 
Sour cream
Lime wedges (for the juice)

Directions:
1. Mix 2 TBS of steak rub with about 3/4 cup olive oil. Add in a dash of cumin and mix well. Pour into a glass baking dish and place the steak into the baking dish also. Flip the steaks a few times to make sure each steak is fully covered in the marinade. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (preferably more - you'll get better flavor). 
 2. Grill until it looks done. The thin-cut steaks don't even take 10 minutes on the GF-grill so keep an eye on them. I'd say more like 6-7 minutes.  
3. When steak is finished transfer to a plate and cut into thin strips and add a little salt and pepper. Lay out all the toppings and assemble as you wish!
The Pico De Gallo and Chipotle Sauce recipes are in my Baha Fish Taco post which you can find *HERE*.

**NOTES:
-I prefer yellow corn tortillas but I only had white corn at the moment. 
- I had shredded cabbage left-over from the fish tacos but it's just as delish to use lettuce instead of cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment