Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I learned a good lesson lastnight...

Menu plan & stick with it! ;) Lastnight (Monday Oct. 3) my Salsa Shredded Beef Tacos were on the menu and I didn't really feel like eating that. Normally I'd automaticaly wonder what else I can make and what I actually do feel like. Not this time though... I stuck with the tacos and realized that after I start smelling the food then I can't wait to eat it! That's a valuble lesson for me considering how much I change the menu based on what I feel like eating that night. That's what messes my menu up! I'm so proud for sticking with it!
And you'll also be really happy to know that for once I basically stuck with my weekly meal plan! I say "basically" because Saturday mu husband was dead-set on eating my Teriyaki Salmon dish so we had that instead of on Sunday. Then instead of Pot Roast on Sunday he wanted some type of lasagna so I tried a new recipe called Lasagna Rollata al Forno - I made up my own recipe and it turned out great (recipe will follow)! Even my 2 year old (which I normally have to force her to eat anything) asked for more 4 times! My husband and I were astonished!
Tonight is scheduled for burgers (which we normally have every Tuesday) but today we have no buns (and I'm trying to stop going to the store so much) so I'm going to make Lasagna Hamburger Helper, Garlic Bread & Green beans. Sounds good to me! And we already have everything to make it! This is the type of thing that I've been trying to get better at, and I'm happy to say that I finally AM! Normally I'd go to the store for buns and come back with $50 worth of food (which I then have to re-do my whole menu so stuff won't go bad), but not this time! No no... I'm doing good and I'm sticking with it! :)

Amy's Lasagna Rollata al Forno

Ingredients: 
1 box Barilla Lasagna Noodles
32 oz. Kraft Ricotta Cheese
1 jar of Traditional Prego Sauce
2/3 cup frozen spinach, dethawed and drained
2 tbs. fresh chopped basil
2 tbs. dried parsley flakes
1 tbs. salt
1/2 tbs. black pepper
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tbs minced garlic
Shredded Kraft Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and lasagna noodles. Cook 7-8 minutes till al dente'. Drain. Add alittle olive oil to the noodles to prevent sticking.
2. Add ricotta cheese, spinach, basil, parsley, salt & pepper, italian seasoning & garlic to a large bowl. Stir to combine well.
3. In a 9x13" baking dish pour some pasta sauce to cover the bottom with a thin layer.
4. On a cutting board lay out a few noodles at a time. Spread a thin layer of the ricotta cheese mixture along the top of the noodle. Roll the noodle up and place seem-side down in the baking dish (on top of the sauce).
5. Continue until your baking dish is filled. Add the mozzarella cheese to the top of each lasagna roll.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Then take the foil off and leave in the oven for an extra 10-15 minutes to brown the mozzarella cheese. (You can broil it for a few minutes to further brown the cheese on top)
7. In a small sauce pan on the stove, heat the rest of the pasta sauce left in the jar. When ready to serve lasagna, pour some of the warmed pasta sauce on the plate and set the lasagna on top of the pasta sauce. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
Serve with garlic dinner rolls and a salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment