Thursday, October 27, 2011

Raisins in cole-slaw? Tried it. Loved it!

Hubby and I were lucky enough to take a day trip to Sedona, AZ and we were kid-less! (Thanks to my in-laws!) We haven't been to Sedona since 2007 and this time it was even more amazing than I ever imagined! The colors everywhere, the mountains, the sights, ooooooh it's just something you HAVE to see before you die! Observe... 
Breathtaking... especially when you see it with your own eyes!
Anyway, we ate lunch at a restaurant called The Oak Creek Brewery & Grill and the food was absolutely fantastic! You know, those fancy-shmancy cheeseburgers that cost $13.00 (for ONE burger), and 1 fountain drink is $3.00? Yep... one of those places. These days it's a treat just getting to go through a drive-thru and pick up a few burgers/fries for $10.00! We never get to treat ourselves with such luxury so we decided to go ahead and try the place. Let me tell you... it was fantastic! Every bite I took I never wanted it to end! Their seasoned fries were equally amazing, but let me tell you about this cole-slaw. It was life-changing... it really was. I never thought to try Cole-slaw with apple and raisins, but holy-moly; am I glad I did! I studied the Cole-slaw like it was some sort of experiment... I had to know what was in it!
When the waiter came to ask how we were doing I started raving about the Cole-slaw and he automatically agreed! He told me all the ingredients but I already knew those... I could taste and see them. I just needed to know about the "dressing" it was in! The only thing he said about that was it was a "Home-made mayonnaise base dressing". How depressing... I thought he would go through ALL the ingredients - not just the obvious ones.
I've been craving this cole-slaw ever since the last bite of it so I decided to try and make my own! I now know that making your own mayo-base dressing is key. I tried using Litehouse Cole-Slaw dressing and the taste was just... weir. Not something I'd ever put in my mouth again.But if you like the Litehouse Cole-Slaw dressing then you can follow my recipe! For some reason my husband and in-laws really love this cole-slaw! Maybe it's my pregnancy taste-buds that is the problem?
In any case, you have try try this recipe... I just suggest making your own dressing!
Ingredients:
5 cups pre-shredded cabbage & carrots (Cole-slaw mix)
1/2 jar of Litehouse Cole-Slaw dressing
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 shredded carrot, peeled (there wasn't enough in the Cole-slaw mix)
1 red apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 handful of cilantro leaves, minced

Directions:
Combine all ingredients and pour the dressing in; stir until combined. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

**Notes: The recipe that I was trying to re-create had golden and regular raisins, and the sesame seeds were black. I also forgot to add the minced red onions. The waiter at the restaurant said the "dressing" base was their home-made mayonnaise, so I will be making my own mayo on my next try.

No comments:

Post a Comment